Dinghy Instructor & Youth Mentee Programme
The aim is to provide
- a mentoring programme that will assist HISC youth (15 yrs+) prepare for the RYA Dinghy Instructor (DI) course and also
- offer valuable teaching experience to recently qualified RYA Dinghy Instructors post the DI course.
Why is this needed?
It is known and understood that a 16 year old who has just passed the RYA Dinghy Instructor course does not gain this qualification and instantly become an expert. Hands on teaching practise with an older and more experienced Instructor is invaluable to be a successful and safe DI at HISC.
Who is it available to:
- Anyone over the age of 15 years old on 1 January 2018 who is planning on taking the RYA Dinghy Instructor course in the next 12 months. (Youth Mentee - YM)
- Anyone who is a qualified RYA Dinghy Instructor and who wishes to gain essential experience of teaching to make themselves more employable. (Dinghy Instructor Mentee - IM)
The Mentor programme:
The format explained below is very similar to a tried and tested training programme established in 2013 at Itchenor SC by RYA Senior Instructor Melvyn Cooper. The Instructor programme has successfully completed a fifth consecutive year at ISC in two separate 5 day Junior Training Weeks in 2017.
The mentor programme is designed to encourage and reinforce the important role of the RYA Dinghy Instructor at Hayling Island SC.
A Dinghy Instructor Mentee (IM) or Youth Mentee (YM) is the assistant to the Team Leader in the RIB. The Team Leader will involve the IM or YM by allocating tasks where appropriate, depending on known experience or qualification. The aim is to understand the process of delivering safe and productive sailing sessions.
- The programme is free of charge for the mentee (IM or YM)
- There is no payment to the mentee
- Spaces in the programme will be favoured to those who can take part in Youth Training Week.
- Remuneration is available for those who are able to take part in Youth Training Week, rates are available on request shortly.
What do Mentors do?
Mentors are there to give constructive support, sharing of experience and encouragement to future and recently qualified RYA Dinghy Instructors.
All mentors are recruited because they bring their own teaching experience to the role and have interpersonal skills to support others.
Instructor teaching format 2018:
- Team Leader (TL) position is a highly experienced RYA Dinghy Instructor, RYA Race coach or RYA Senior Instructor and RIB driver leading a group of children or adults.
- Youth Mentee (YM) or a Dinghy Instructor Mentee (IM) is the assistant to the Team Leader on the RIB helping run sailing sessions, rigging boats, launching & recovery and teaching where appropriate.
Mentee opportunities to gain experience:
RYA Stage 1&2 (Youth scheme) dates TBC
RYA Level 1&2 (Adult National Scheme) dates TBC
RYA Start Racing dates TBC
RYA Youth Training Week
Family Fun Week
HISC Red Ribbon Training Club
Youth Sailing (new 2018)
Winter Class Coaching
A doodle of dates will be forwarded for applicants to select from, but most of the above can be found on the HISC calendar to give you an idea.
The programme is compulsory for an inexperienced RYA DI to become paid at HISC and potentially to become a Team Leader.
A score and feedback will be kept for each IM or YM on each mentored day to help build on their strengths and improve their weaknesses for the next session.
Removal from the programme:
Anyone not deemed to be learning, not taking the programme seriously or not showing up will not continue on the programme and the space will be offered to another.
Application form can be found on the HISC website:
Please register your intent to apply on this Doodle https://doodle.com/poll/s5dgfgfgnn4mmars
An application form will be sent to you to complete and return.