Become an Assistant Dinghy Instructor:
Participants aged 14-16 can use their time as mentee working towards an RYA Assistant Dinghy Instructor Qualification.
To become an Assistant Instructor the participant must complete the following:
• Hold one of the RYA National Sailing Scheme Advanced Modules
• Recommended by our Marine Manager at HISC
• Attend a training course - 20 hour course covering basic teaching principles, centre procedures and specific training in any unfamiliar equipment (see RYA book G14). Candidates will be assessed on their teaching ability with beginners.
• Training and assessment conducted by an appropriately trained Senior Instructor - nominated by the Principal or Chief Instructor.
This is a centre-specific certificate, awarded by HISC and valid for five years.
Become an RYA Dinghy Instructor:
At age 16 you can become an RYA Dinghy Instructor. You must complete the following:
- First aid certificate
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Safe and Fun certificate
- pre-course work
- RYA Membership
Experience: Experienced sailor in strong winds
Pre-entry assessment: To be completed within one year prior to the instructor course.
Training course: 5 day course with extra time allowed for revision.
Training in teaching techniques afloat and ashore is provided during the course.
Run by an RYA Coach/Assessor and moderated on the final day by another RYA Coach/Assessor who has not been involved in the candidate's training.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate competence in course preparation, delivery and management, as well as customer liaison.
For Dates of RYA Training Courses please visit our calendar.