As one of only four RYA coastal Centres of Excellence, Hayling Island Sailing Club is one of the leading sailing clubs in the UK. Founded in 1921 with over 3,000 members, the club has a permanent staff of more than 20 with an additional pool of temporary staff and highly skilled volunteers for major events.
Situated on a private peninsula of golden sand at the entrance to Chichester Harbour, the club enjoys a unique micro climate which provides ideal dinghy racing conditions in some of Britain’s best sailing waters. Sailing is possible at all stages of the tide throughout the year.
With over 50 years’ experience of organising National, International and Olympic training and selection events, HISC has the capability and track record to successfully host ISAF accredited championships attracting 400+ entries.
Some of the major championships HISC has successfully hosted in recent years include:
• Laser World Championships with 700 boats spread over two weeks and two separate racing areas
• RS Feva World Championships
• Solo National Championships
• International Moth World Championships
• RS200 National Championships
I’m really pleased. We’ve had an absolutely cracking event. I don’t think we’ve done many events where we’ve got the racing in and pretty much on time so it’s been really good from that point of view and it’s been a good challenge as well. We’ve pretty much had every condition thrown at us so I’m really, really pleased to have come away with a silver.
Nick Thompson, (GBR) 2010 Laser World Championships
HISC offers access to two superb sailing areas; the sheltered waters of Chichester Harbour and the open water of Hayling Bay.
In addition the club offers:
• Highly experienced race management team
• Fully qualified International Race Officers
• Three committee boats, 11 rescue boats, moorings, pontoon and ferry service
• Maintenance facilities
• On-site chandlery
• Scrutineer’s shed for boat and sail measuring
• 360° race control tower
• Online registration and entry system
• Fast results processing and publishing
• Extensive balcony views of the race area
• Free space for boat and car parking
• Three launch and recovery areas with winches and hoists
• Numerous wash down and water points
• Chains for boat security
• Large wet snack bar, extensive restaurant and bar facilities
• Disabled facilities
• Accommodation to sleep 80
• Dining room with covers for 200
• Bar with capacity for 300
• Wet snack bar • BBQ facilities
• Conference facilities for up to 150 • Meeting room facilities
• Private dinner opportunities
• Car parking for 300 cars
• Campervan parking spaces
• Internet access and free wifi
• First aid room • Training rooms
• Extensive modern changing rooms with under floor heating
• Security lockers for personal belongings
• Houses, campsite and caravan parks to rent within walking distance of club
• Race management facilities
• Private sandy beach for families
• 3 local marinas
The local area
With spectacular views of Chichester Harbour, the South Downs and the Isle of Wight, Hayling Island Sailing Club is located on a sandy peninsula known as Sandy Point.
Hayling Island is a true island with road bridge access to the mainland and a foot passenger ferry to the nearby historic waterside city of Portsmouth.
The Roman city of Chichester with its spectacular Cathedral and nearby Roman Palace are easily accessible for sight-seeing, shopping and restaurants.
The island boasts over 3 miles of beaches overlooking the world famous sailing waters of the Solent and Isle of Wight. Extensive opportunities exist for sailing, windsurfing, power boating, jet skiing, paddle boarding, canoeing, kayaking and swimming.
Hayling Island enjoys fast links to international airports, ferry ports and the UK motorway system.