HISC Thursday Club
HISC Thursday Club is a Community Club operating every Thursday afternoon between May and September.
It is open between 4 pm and 6.30 pm for any youngsters aged 8 – 18 to give them a taster of sailing, paddle boarding and rowing and if they choose, the option to learn to sail, paddle board or row.
Whilst there is no specific charge a weekly donation of £3 per youngster is appreciated.
The instructors at HISC Thursday Club are all RYA qualified, and all Thursday Club activities are carried out with safety as the priority. We operate our training programme under the control of Catherine Massey, and all training takes place under strict guidelines.
There is always a Senior Instructor at each session and he or she timetables the training and organises the groups and all the resources required. He or she will also normally give a briefing to all sailors and introduce the instructors for the session.
Below are the details of the training provided dependant on ability. all youngsters must be booked in and the required forms filled in, including their medical information. Each session the youngsters are split into their appropriate groups.
Introduction to Water
- Absolute beginners with the aim that they will become comfortable on and in the water in a buoyancy aid
- Introduction to sailing and sailing basics for youngsters with little or no experience
- Youngsters will sail in Thursday Club RS Tera's and learn to handle/control a boat under sail in benign conditions
- They will be accompanied by an experienced helm and assistant instructor
- The instructor will inform the Administration Officer when the youngster is ready to sail independently
Stage 1 A familiarisation with a single handed boat to gain knowledge of basic controls and sailing in a double-handed boat
Stage 2 To sail in any direction. Single handed with confidence and competence. Double handed familiarisation
Stage 3 To be competent in single and double handed boat. Show ability to work as a team in a double handed boat
Stage 4 To demonstrate seamanship and racing skills and complete RYA Advanced levels
The Training Officer is Catherine Massey & Chief Instructor is Nick Willis
For more information on the organisation of the Thursday Club see . . . What We Are About (pdf)