Class Captain: Paddy Gamble
Please ask your Class Captain if you would like to be added to the Class WhatsApp Group.
The Laser is the premier single handed dinghy worldwide and an Olympic class. It offers all levels of racing and training from club level, local one day open meetings to national & international. You are never far away from Laser racing!
The HISC Youth Laser fleet continues to grow with a steady flow of new members to the fleet plus the clearance of the boat parking waiting list enabling everyone to have a space sets us up for a great 2023. We have sailors in both the 4.7 and Radial rig sizes (or 4 & 6 in ILCA language). The club has a fleet of hire boats for those who want to have a go and additionally we have purchased a new 4.7 sail that can be booked out at no extra cost and used with a hire boat in order to have a competitive race sail.
Key activities for 2023:
- For the second year on the run we have the Laser nationals at home 20-25th August. Expect 250 boats across the 3 rig sizes!
- Club racing is the core of the fleet's sailing activity, this is mostly in the harbour on the youth course but also we try to get out into the bay when conditions are favourable for training or Pennant weekend racing.
- Sprint racing happens through the season in youth sprints and single handed sprints.
We run a series of winter training from November through to February. These are generally well attended.
- Youth race week, Mengham youth week and Feb week all had 10+ boat fleets in 2022.
For those who are keen to take it further:
- Each spring and autumn are 3 weekends of Qualifiers, usually 2 of them at Weymouth plus another location
- There is the Solent Training Group that trains a weekend a month locally (Warsash or Stokes Bay) led by front of the fleet ILCA coaches
- Local one day open meetings.
- ILCA class association lead region training.
All open event information can be found at https://portal.ilca.uk/events
All our communications are on the class WhatsApp group, so if you want to find out more or know when people will be sailing then join the group and ask us.